When you hear software engineering, what probably comes to mind is computers. In reality, the world is becoming more digital as the days go by; hence, the need for software engineering graduates is increasing.
As you may already know, software engineering entails the use of engineering processes to design, develop, test, and maintain software applications. Due to the technicalities involved, only a handful of schools offer this course in Nigeria.
But we’ve carefully compiled a list of universities that offer software engineering in Nigeria and also listed some online platforms where you can study the course.
Plus, we added a list of potential places to find software engineering jobs in Nigeria and how to get these jobs.
Jump to any section:
List of Federal Universities Offering Software Engineering in Nigeria
- University of Lagos
- Obafemi Awolowo University
- Federal University of Technology Akure (FUTA)
- University of Nigeria
- University of Ilorin
- University of Ibadan
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri
Most of these federal universities offer either computer engineering or computer science at the undergraduate level, but this shouldn’t deter you, as you can learn and develop the skills needed to succeed as a software engineer.
State Universities Offering Software Engineering in Nigeria
- The Technical University, Ibadan (Tech-U)
- Delta State University of Science and Technology, Ozoro
- University of Delta, Agbor (UniDel)
Private Universities that Offer Software Engineering in Nigeria
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Mudiame University, Edo State
- Babcock University, Ogun State
- Michael and Cecilia Ibru University, Delta State
- Lead City University, Oyo State
- Maranatha University, Imo State
- Maryam Abacha American University of Nigeria, Kano State
- Mewar University Nigeria, Nasarawa State
- Skyline University, Kano
- Bowen University, Osun State
- Covenant University (CU), Ota, Ogun State
A major advantage that private universities have over federal universities when it comes to studying software engineering or any other course is the absence of academic disruption due to strikes.
However, federal universities also have better affordability and exposure, and other software courses in Nigeria can help you improve your knowledge and expertise.
Other Institutions that Offer Software Engineering
You can also get a diploma in software engineering from the following institutions:
- College of Vocational Science and Technology (Cvst) Of Nigeria, Lagos
- Flamytech Computer School, Lagos
- Digital Bridge Institute, Abuja
- Lincoln College of Science, Management, and Technology (Lcsmt), Abuja
- Rolof Computer Academy, Warri
- Homik Oil and Gas Facilities Engineering School, Port Harcourt
- Federal College of Agricultural Produce Technology, Kano
- Zibeh Institute of Technology, Jos
- Soteria Business School, Ibadan
These institutions are focused on computer-based courses and training in different states of Nigeria, so you can register at any of them closest to you if you would prefer this option to a university offering software engineering.
Where You Can Learn Software Engineering in Nigeria Online
You can learn software engineering online in both paid and free versions via different platforms, although payment is usually required to get the certification. These certified online platforms include:
- Coursera: This is an online learning platform that offers thousands of free courses as well as professional certifications. This e-learning platform also offers bachelor’s and master’s degrees. However, you can register and get a seven-day free trial. Then, if you want to obtain a professional certificate, you will be required to make a payment of $39 per month to get a certificate of completion.
- Udemy: This platform has a broad selection of courses, with a variety of IT and software courses you can enroll in. Their charges are based on the software engineering course chosen and they have specialized instructors that offer demonstrations based on the course.
- Alison: This is another online learning website that offers diploma and professional certification courses. You can register, start, and complete the courses for free, but a payment is required to get a certificate of completion.
- Great Learning: Here, you can learn online from the world’s best universities. If you are looking to upgrade your career in software engineering, this platform offers the best instructors with a specific timeline for the completion of each course.
- edX: This organization is goal-driven and focused on ensuring you get the best out of the course you choose to study. They also offer bootcamp for various courses in software engineering with the aim of significantly improving your specialization in your chosen field of study.
How to Become a Software Engineer in Nigeria – The Requirements
You should bear in mind that the requirements for admission differ from one university to another. Thus, the following serves as a general overview of what you need to become a software engineer in Nigeria.
Other Software Engineering Courses You Can Study
It is always advisable to specialize in a particular area of software engineering. However, there are other software engineering courses you can take.
It is important to keep in mind that these courses depend on the area you want to specialize in and on your strengths and interests.
How to Choose a Software Engineering Course
Now that you know the other software engineering courses you can study, let’s help you understand how you can go about choosing one.
Where to Get Software Engineering in Nigeria
From the list of Nigerian universities above, it is obvious that software engineering is a thriving course with increasing popularity and demand.
However, as a software engineer, the main koko is finding these jobs.
Clearly, the job opportunities in this field are endless; hence, it answers the question of why you should study software engineering.
How to Get a Software Engineering Job in Nigeria
It may seem like a herculean task to get a lucrative job in software engineering, considering the economic situation of the country, but it is not impossible.
The great news is that we’ve outlined some tips to help you get that dream job in software engineering.
We’ve explored the different universities offering software engineering in Nigeria, other institutions and online platforms. But the most important aspect of becoming a software engineer is to be realistic about your interests, goals, and future plans.
It’s also important to be honest about the cost, the time you can allocate, and your commitment to start and complete the course. Armed with all the above knowledge, you are well on your way to studying software engineering via any route most convenient to you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
What Qualifications Do I Need to Be a Software Engineer?
A bachelor’s degree is the bare minimum for starting a career in software engineering. You can improve your expertise by enrolling in online courses in Nigeria that offer software programs.
Where Can I Learn Software Engineering in Nigeria?
There are online and offline options where you can learn software engineering. As a novice, you may find it challenging to study the practical aspect online but with dedication, effort and time, you can be well-prepared for an entry-level position in this field in any state in Nigeria.
How Long Does It Take To Become a Software Engineer in Nigeria?
What Skills Do I Need as a Software Engineer in Nigeria?
To be successful in this field, you require strong programming skills, problem identification and solving skills, experience in software development, and knowledge of the industry’s tools and technologies.
What are the job prospects for a software engineering graduate in Nigeria?
After your studies in software engineering, you can work as a software or web developer, database administrator, cybersecurity specialist, system analyst, etc., the list is endless but the main determining factor is your background and specialization in a particular field of software engineering you’ve chosen.
Are Freelancing Opportunities Available for Software Engineers in Nigeria?
You can register on different freelance platforms such as Upwork, Freelancer, Fiverr, and so on to create a freelance profile as a software developer or any specialty. You can upload your past projects and areas of expertise, and clients will easily contact you.
How Can You Become a Software Engineer Without a Degree?
The key is to acquire the necessary software engineering skills and have a basic understanding of the essentials of computer science even without a degree. You can enroll in a software engineering program called a boot camp, where you will go through an intensive, skills-focused curriculum that is aimed at helping you quickly develop software engineering expertise.